Thursday, January 7, 2010

Debating homosexuality with a Christian

friend upon discovering this preachers thoughts on killing homosexuals:

This kind of thing is clearly not biblical. In the worst case, Christ hates the sin not the sinner.


Ana:
Of course it is biblical! the bible clearly states that if a man lies with another man as he would a woman they have committed an abomination and would/should be put to death.



Friend:
Ana, that is old testament and Jesus has full filled all those rules and we have a new covenant in Christ. Love they neighbor as thyself. Unlike other religions we are not to love an atheist any less than we do a fellow Christian. We may not agree with them but that is no reason for hate. None of us are perfect so we all have something about ourselves that someone could choose to hate.



Ana:
yes, I like that old argument, I get it often. I always like to ask Christians if they eat shrimp, and lobster. According to god, that is as much an abomination as being homosexual. They then try to back it up with christ coming and the 'out with the old, in with the new' thing. Problem with that is that according to the writings of the New Testament, christ did not come to push aside those old laws and make a new covenant, the old laws are still very much in affect. I would like to direct you to Matthew 5:17 where Jesus tells folks "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose."

now, if you want to go back to 'out with the old, in with the new' ( in spite of the fact that he clearly states that he came not to abolish but to fulfill the laws of the old testament) then eating shellfish is ok, as is mixing dairy with meat (dietary laws) etc... and that would also mean that homosexuality is in the clear to be practiced again without condemnation. No where in the New Testament does it say anything about homosexuality being any sort of abomination.

so which is it? can't have it both ways!



friend:
I am not trying to convince anyone one way or the other. We could agree nick picking details and day and still be arguing tomorrow. All I'm saying is that demonizing the individual is wrong no matter which side of the argument you are on.


Ana:
I totally agree with that 100% David. I would just like to know from a Christian standpoint, how do you rationalize that contradiction? Granted it is not a contradiction in the bible, but in the words you posted: "It is clearly not biblical." Why do christians get upset when the Fred Phelps, and Steve Andersons climb out of the wood work making insane statements such as these? They are just doing what the bible has instructed. I am not trying to start a problem, I am just trying to understand WHY?! It is clearly stated, you can't just skirt around it when it is there in black and white. So tell me how does one come to the conclusion that it is not biblical. God clearly demonized homosexuality in the old testament when he said it was an abomination, and they should/would be killed.

And why is it when I ask a christian honest questions, I want to know how they justify something I am hit with the same thing. No one can give me a clear answer, all they can do is say something such as, "I think it is wrong, I am not here to debate or convince anyone." So I will ask one more time, because I honestly want to know, How do you Justify that statement in light of the scriptures that say otherwise? Does this not give you pause to think?



when cornered, they are not here to debate, they are just here to love their neighbor. Isn't that sweet? They get called on their bull shit, they can't answer, so they try to turn the conversation in a different direction and hope you do not notice.


Just thought I'd share!












No comments:

Post a Comment